1. Get rid of all advertisements and get unlimited access to documents by upgrading to Premium Membership. Upgrade to Premium Now and also get a Premium Badge!

DG4DRDA (Ora - DB2 11g Gateway):Unable to retrieve text of NETWORK/NCR message 65535

Discussion in 'Server Administration and Options' started by General Franco, Aug 22, 2012.

1. General Franco

General Franco Active Member

Hi guys.

I've installed the dg4drda software in the Oracle 11.2.0.2 Oracle Home on my Solaris box. I've followed all the steps in doc ID:945879.1 How to Setup DG4DRDA ...

However when I try to select data from DB2 across the link I get the following error:

SQL> SELECT * FROM DUAL@db2;
    SELECT * FROM DUAL@db2
    ERROR at line 1:
    ORA-28545: error diagnosed by Net8 when connecting to an agent
    Unable to retrieve text of NETWORK/NCR message 65535
    ORA-02063: preceding 2 lines from DB2​

When I looked up the error I found this explanation:

ORA-28545: error diagnosed by Net8 when connecting to an agent
    Cause: An attempt to call an external procedure or to issue SQL to a non-Oracle system on a Heterogeneous Services database link failed at connection initialization. The error diagnosed by Net8 NCR software is reported separately.

Action: Refer to the Net8 NCRO error message. If this isn't clear, check connection administrative setup in tnsnames.ora and listener.ora for the service associated with the Heterogeneous Services database link being used, or with 'extproc_connection_data' for an external procedure call.

I could successfully tnsping from the Oracle DB environment to the dg4db2 gateway instance. Also I ensured that the user in the DB2 DB had all the correct permissions.

Any ideas what could be the problem or where I can find additional info to help diagnose the problem?

Many thanks.

2. General Franco

Re: DG4DRDA (Ora - DB2 11g Gateway):Unable to retrieve text of NETWORK/NCR message 65

Btw. I also checked the HS_FDS_INST table in the Oracle DB and there's no data so it would appear that DRDA is not registered. It's supposed to register automatically. Perhaps this is the issue .. ??

3. zargon

zargon Community Moderator Forum Guru

Re: DG4DRDA (Ora - DB2 11g Gateway):Unable to retrieve text of NETWORK/NCR message 65

It may well be; I haven't had the pleasure of using heterogeneous services against DB2.

Please let us know the resolution if you find it.

4. General Franco

The above error was due to an incomplete/corrupted install procedure of the gateway software.
    Second time around I put the software into it's own separate Oracle Home and it worked. Although I did need to run the $ORACLE_HOME/rdbms/admin/caths.sql script on the source DB first.

After that I just followed the standard steps.
    Created a user with the correct privs in the DB2 DB
    Update the gatewayinit.ora file.
    Created a gateway listener and added the corresponding entry to the tnsnames.ora file.
    Created the DB link.
    Selected data from DB2.

Btw. you need to use the sqlplus copy command to insert data from Oracle into DB2.