1. Get rid of all advertisements and get unlimited access to documents by upgrading to Premium Membership. Upgrade to Premium Now and also get a Premium Badge!

Date diff in oracle

Discussion in 'SQL PL/SQL' started by CM7968, Sep 5, 2012.

1. CM7968

CM7968 Guest

i am working on a simple process time study , calculated from 2 DB date - start and end date:

select
    24*60*(to_date(start_time,'mm/dd/yyyy hh:mi:ss')-to_date(end_time,'mm/dd/yyyy hh:mi:ss')) as Processtime
    from oracleDB

i hit an error ORA01858: a non-numeric character was found where a numeric is expected

any turnaround for this? thanks.

2. dariyoosh

dariyoosh Forum Advisor

Please give the exact values you put in your query and provide us your table description with type of each column.
    Also kindly use code tags to make your code more readable

3. Bharat

Bharat Community Moderator Forum Guru

Hi,

Use the query as explained below:

Code (Text):

SQL>select sysdate,sysdate-1,(to_date(sysdate,'dd-mm-yyyy hh24:mi:ss')-to_date(sysdate-1,'dd-mm-yyyy hh24:mi:ss'))*24*60 TIME_GAP from dual;
    Selected 1 record

Result:
    SYSDATE                 SYSDATE-1           TIME_GAP
    09/05/2012 03:33:46 09/04/2012 03:33:46 43200

4. zargon

zargon Community Moderator Forum Guru

Interesting example but it doesn't explain why the error was thrown. Such an error indicates that the to_date format string doesn't match the input string. I would suspect that the source date string includes either an AM or PM indicator which is not addressed in the to_date format picture.

Bharat likes this.