1. Get rid of all advertisements and get unlimited access to documents by upgrading to Premium Membership. Upgrade to Premium Now and also get a Premium Badge!

Database was down when archive log destination is filled

Discussion in 'Security, Backup and Recovery' started by sunil, Aug 19, 2015.

1. sunil

sunil Active Member

Hi Matthews,
    Last weekend, the archival destination got filled 100%, when i logged into the database on Monday. The database was down and i have cleared some archival logs and when i tried to login to database. i got the below error.
    ORA-00020: maximum number of processes (450) exceeded
    ORA-20 errors will not be written to the alert log for
    the next minute. Please look at trace files to see all
    the ORA-20 errors.
    Then i had killed the process and started up cleanly. So, then i logged into the database.

As, I'm very curious to know, what would be the reason. Is it possible when archive logs got filled, the database will be down?

Thanks,
    Sunil

2. ocprep

ocprep Forum Advisor

When a database is in ARCHIVELOG mode, before Oracle can switch from the 'current' redo log group to the next one in line, that next one must have been archived. When there is no space in the location where archive logs are stored, it is not possible to do so.

If this happens... ALL transactions in the database will simply halt until space becomes available. Oracle cannot complete transactions until there is room in the online redo log and there will be no room until the archival happens. Because this essentially stops your database from doing anything, it would not be not be surprising for processes to build up as they wait for their transaction to complete... eventually hitting the maximum and causing a second issue.

sunil likes this.
  3. sunil

sunil Active Member

Thanks for the information Matthew.