1. Get rid of all advertisements and get unlimited access to documents by upgrading to Premium Membership. Upgrade to Premium Now and also get a Premium Badge!

database for timekeeping

Discussion in 'General' started by strosala, Jan 29, 2010.

1. strosala

strosala Active Member

hi! I would like to make a table for employees who give their input and output record the date and time server. this table one to place in a form (oracle6). can anyone help me with an example program timekeeping. thanks

2. zargon

zargon Community Moderator Forum Guru

Are you asking how to design a table for timesheet entries?

3. strosala

strosala Active Member

Yes. Sorry for bad English.

4. zargon

What are the requirements for this timesheet? A table should not be built without proper thought for the design.

5. strosala

strosala Active Member

hi. if you know how it should look, please show me. want to see an example, then I can handle. thanks.

6. zargon

I don't iknow 'how it should look' because you're not telling anyone hoiw your timesheet application will function. How do YOU want to record work time?

7. strosala

strosala Active Member

We suppose that a worker who has a badge with his personal ID. reach their service and want to give into the database to record time and the end to believe a report to find all these records.

8. zargon

'to record time' how? Draw us a picture, give us a BETTER description of this task. Tell us what YOU want the employee to see with this timesheet.

9. strosala

strosala Active Member

Hi. I attached a diagram.

Attached Files:

10. zargon

Since you cannot guarantee the uniqueness of names your 'design' is flawed as you cannot ensure your reports for a selected name will not include someone else of the same name, even in the same department. Absent an employee id or unique payroll identifier your 'data' will be litle more than a collection of useless records. How are you validating the employee name and department name? With your 'design' anyone could enter any employee and department name whether they exist or not and your 'report' could be nothing more than waste paper:

[TABLE]Name Dept Week Ending Total Hours
    ==========================================================
    Yo, Yo Flophouse Insp. 01/31/2010 732
    Ball, Meat Toilet Monitor 01/31/2010 171[/TABLE]...

You need to seriously re-think your 'design' and correct these glaring flaws before your 'timesheet' applkcation becomes nothing more than a breaktime joke and is replaced by more thoughtful and reliable code. You need to:

1) Validate the employee id against the HR database
    2) Validate the department against a list of valid departments in the company
    3) Reject non-matching entries
    4) Allow for 'off hours' entries as some employees may work nights and/or weekends
    5) Record workday start time, lunch start time, lunch end time and workday end time for each day worked
    6) Ensure that the total number of hours worked per week does not exceed the total number of hours for a week (24*7, or 168) for a single employee
    7) Base the reports on the unique employee id
    8) Understand the legal requirements for retention of this data and provide a mechanism to archive older data
    9) Provide access to the archived data and a program to generate reports from the archives

Timesheet applications are NOT simple programs; they are complex applications which need to collect useful data from which meaningful reports can be prepared. Your 'design' is lacking in most of the required elements.

11. strosala

strosala Active Member

everything you wrote is true. I thought someone has a small tutorial which inspire me, which help me create a form for timekeeping. I have to create tables I need and then one can succeed.
    Thank you for help given

12. zargon

Timesheet applications are neither simple nor universal; they depend upon the requirements of the organization wanting this functionality. To succeed in this endeavor you will need:

access to a complete list of known employees and their employee ids
    knowledge of the valid departments or groups within the company
    knowledge of whether lunch breaks will be logged or not
    ability to enter both start time and end time for an employee
    procedure to calculate hours worked each week
    provision to calculate overtime pay where applicable
    ability to record and track 'exempt' (salaried) employee hours where necessary
    other functionality as required/desired by the organization

Decide on a method and requirements and proceed; if you need assistance with specific elements of the design or implementation return and ask us here as we will gladly assist.