1. Get rid of all advertisements and get unlimited access to documents by upgrading to Premium Membership. Upgrade to Premium Now and also get a Premium Badge!

Create Table and Load Data Dump with no Field Headers

Discussion in 'General' started by Donnie28, Dec 8, 2014.

1. Donnie28

Donnie28 Active Member

Hi There

I have received a data dump that I need to perform data profiling on for completeness, conformity etc. Firstly I need to create a table with the fields and data types in the attachment, then I need to load the data which is a 1.3gb file with just the raw data i.e. no field headers. I sit possible to do this based on the data types in the data?

Any help on this would be very much appreciated

Regards
    Donal

Attached Files:

NCERT Solutions likes this.
  2. rajenb

rajenb Forum Expert

Hi Donal,

You can normally use Oracle's SQL*Loader utility to load the data; you'll find tons of articles and examples on the net depending on the data you have to load. In the absence of a sample data from your side, it's difficult to provide a more precise response.

You could may be attach a few sample lines from your 1.3GB file ... provided it's not something you can't disclose ...

3. krasnoslobodtsev_si

krasnoslobodtsev_si Forum Genius

4. zargon

zargon Community Moderator Forum Guru

Sergey has provided what I believe is the best option for this, using external tables to 'load' the data into a 'table' that directly uses the flat file you've been given. There is no physical table, per se, so there is no physical storage required for the data. It can be queried just like a 'regular' table.

Please read through the link he provided. Note that you cannot 'load data without field headers' as those headers are the column names; you CAN do this:

set head off pagesize 0

at the SQL> prompt before you query the table and the headers will not be displayed, and the rows will not be separated into 'page-sized' blocks.