1. Get rid of all advertisements and get unlimited access to documents by upgrading to Premium Membership. Upgrade to Premium Now and also get a Premium Badge!

Count_Distinct in a report with multiple business areas fails (EUL design)

Discussion in 'Oracle Discoverer' started by InJenuity, Feb 11, 2015.

1. InJenuity

InJenuity Active Member

Hi all,

I am in a hole and I am just digging deeper, so I am hoping someone can just provide some guidance on my design issue.

I am using Oracle Discoverer Administrator 10.2.1 to design an EUL for our business.

I want to be able to use COUNT_DISTINCT(field) and then use this in reports that may use more than one business area.

Business Area 1: "Jobs attended per Crime Scene Investigator CSI" -> Grain = Job

A client wishes to know:
    a) How many jobs attended
    b) How many distinct crimes was this in relation to. (one crime may have many crime scenes)
    Dimensions: "Crime Type", and "CSI"

This works great using a COUNT_DISTINCT.

My problem when the business wants to add additional data to this report from another business area:

Business Area 2: "Exhibits Recovered from Jobs attended per Crime Scene Investigator" -> Grain = Exhibit per Job
    c) How many fingerprint lifts were recovered?
    Dimensions "Crime Type" and "CSI"

The two business areas join nicely as they link on the two dimensions, but I get the error:

"Join Configuration could not be resolved - distinct function cannot be reaggregated". [not one mention when I google????]

How do I get around this? / What am I miss-understanding?

What I have tried so far:

a) Created a new folder and / or new business areas specifically for the COUNT_DISTINCT.
    - This then allows me to do the join but I get aggregation issues on the other values. When I look at the SQL it is not putting the COUNT_DISTINCT in a fan, and hence it re-aggregates all the other values.
    b) Trolled the internet....Stuck/ Nothing on internet / Serious stumbling block on project / serious stress / seriously need help

Any guidance / design or fix would be great. My users are not technical, and use the Discoverer Desktop, but do have Plus available.

I have done similar things on both BOXI and MS BI Stack okay..

Kind Regards

Matt.

2. DTSIGuy

DTSIGuy Forum Advisor

Maybe an inline SQL clause for the extra column?

InJenuity likes this.
  3. InJenuity

InJenuity Active Member

DTSIGuy,

Thanks for the life line. I will create custom folder with the distinct count. I have not used these folders but think it will work. I will let you know how it goes. Thanks for just a hint of hope.

All the best

Matt

4. InJenuity

InJenuity Active Member

I have now resolved my issue. Thanks. The Inline SQL didn't work purely because you cannot have a count distinct without a group by clause, and we won't know what that group by is until run-time.

However....I have to admit....I made a bit of a school boy error during some early testing, and got a join the wrong way around.

The solution in the end was to create a new fact table which was basically

SELECT DISTINCT CountMeasureId, DimensionId1, DimensionId2, ....etc FROM BaseFactTable

And then just do a standard count.

Life is good again.