1. Get rid of all advertisements and get unlimited access to documents by upgrading to Premium Membership. Upgrade to Premium Now and also get a Premium Badge!

Copying DB from single server (no ASM) to ASM disks in Oracle RAC

Discussion in 'Server Administration and Options' started by mbehring, Dec 20, 2010.

1. mbehring

mbehring Guest

Hi list,

I have to migrate/move a disk-based Instance/Database from an Oracle single server (10g) to an Oracle RAC (11.2g) with 2 nodes using ASM disks.

I believe I have to use RMAN to do this....but I am not sure how to make RMAN copy the DB through different machines....directly into the ASM diskgroup of the RAC environment.

Regarding the Instance....do I have to create it on the RAC nodes? Does the copy do that automatically?

All servers are Red Hat Linux.

Any help is appreciated.

2. zargon

zargon Community Moderator Forum Guru

Aurora, CO
    Comments embedded.

You will need to have the ASM disks on the RAC server 'swung' over to the non-RAC machine, mount them in the local ASM instance then perform the copy between the diskgroups. An example of this can be found here:

This example is for copying files from one standby database to another, however the process is the same regardless. You may want to have the source database in mount mode before proceeding with the copies. Once the copies are completed you will need to dismount the destination diskgroups, have them 'swung' back to the RAC server then copy the archivelogs to one of the RAC machines and start recovery once the database is started and mounted. Since you don't mention changing database names you can use 'recover database using backup controlfile' to apply the archivelogs then issue an 'alter database open;' statement to bring the database online.

The copy only puts the files into the destination diskgroup; you will need the RAC database configuration files created for this to actually run. You may also need to copy the controlfile from the source database or generate a script from the source to create a new controlfile for the RAC database. Depending upon whether or not you use Oracle Managed Files you may need to follow the instructions in the provided post to 'convert' the file names for the RAC database so it can find the datafiles it needs.