1. Get rid of all advertisements and get unlimited access to documents by upgrading to Premium Membership. Upgrade to Premium Now and also get a Premium Badge!

Content Server Setup

Discussion in 'Oracle Webcenter Suite (formerly Oracle ECM)' started by rnavduri, Feb 13, 2009.

1. rnavduri

rnavduri Forum Advisor

Hi Sadik

I have followed the steps to install content server and installed it successfully. I have setup Oracle XE DB, Apache and checked the log file after content server configuration and I dont see any errors in that.
    But when I run IDC Content Admin Service I am getting the below error

Could not start IDC Content Admin service idc_admin service on local comupter. Error: 1064 An exception occurred in the service while handling the control request.

One more thing I have observed was I dont see any weblayout folder under my C:\UCM folder. But I see Vault folder in UCM directory.

Please suggest.

Rajesh

2. Sadik

Sadik Community Moderator Forum Guru

hmmm, the weblayout folder should be present under your root UCM directory. When you will try to open the page say http://localhost/idc it actually tries to open the file portal.htm located under your weblayout directory. The install logs are located under your <UCM>/install/log.txt so check if you are looking at the right logs. If there are no errors or warnings there, then check

1. Is Oracle and TNS Listener Service running? If yes, can you connect to the oracle database through SQL Plus using the username pasword that you have used in UCM.

2. Is the Apache Service running? can you see the localhost default Apache page?

3. When you installed did you add your UCM directory to Apache's httpd.conf as mentioned in the Configuring Apache section of the Installing Stellent or Oracle Universal Content Management thread.

3. Sadik

you say that you can't see the weblayout directory, else you can go to <UCM>/weblayout/groups/secure/logs to see all the logs files. I think you might have a corrupt install if the weblayout is missing. Show us the install logs and I can help u more.

4. rnavduri

rnavduri Forum Advisor

Sadik,

Please find the attached log file.
    1. I have tested my apache and it works
    2. I could able to connect to SQLPLUS
    3. I have added the details you have given in your earlier post in the httpd.conf file.

Only option I see in this is to reinstall content server.

Rajesh

Attached Files:

• log.zip
      File size:
      4.1 KB
      Views:
  5. Sadik

there's nothing wrong in those logs there... it's absolutely fine. Btw i hope you did put the correct path for UCM directory in the Apache configuration. However that's not related to your service not starting. The only option left is try and stop Oracle Service, Apache service and next start Oracle, start apache and try to start IDC Admin service and then Idc content service. that might work if it was some service issue.

but if even that doesn't work i am afraid you will have to re-install.

6. rnavduri

rnavduri Forum Advisor

Sadik,

I have reinstalled the software and this time I see IDC Content Admin service is running but when IDC Content service is not running. When I try to start it is giving me same error 1064.
    I have deleted admin and Content service using regedit but I see those entries in services window. I dont know because of this I am encountering error.

Please suggest.

Rajesh

7. rnavduri

rnavduri Forum Advisor

Sadik,

I am not able to make content server run in my laptop. My DB is oracle XE and I am using apache as webserver. I was able to run both my services but when I access the first page I am getting page not found error. I even asked my friend to install it and he is also getting the same error. It is really frustrating. I have spent 2 days in installing and uninstalling content server. I was really excited when I saw your installation details and you have outlined them pretty good. Thanks for the details. Coming to uninstalling the content server, I dont know why oracle cannot provide uninstaller for this.

Cheers
    Rajesh

8. Sadik

Hi... OOps! there is an uninstaller for Content Server! All you have to do is open up the command prompt and navigate to the path <UCM>/install. There run Installer.exe -uninstall. Editing the registry was a very bad way of trying to remove the services!

Secondly when you say you that you were able to run both the services, was your Apache running when you got the page cannot be found error? Could you see the default apache page when you went to http://localhost? If you were able to run both services it means UCM was installed perfectly! your page cannot be found was for some other reason.

9. rnavduri

rnavduri Forum Advisor

Thanks Sadik. Coming to my content server setup, my apache is working when I type localost it says "It Works". and my both services are working. I am using oracle XE. But when I run the first page I get page not found error. Is there a place all these errors are getting logged? I am sure it does. I really really wanted to run content server in my laptop. Please suggest

Rajesh

10. Sadik

yes the errors get logged in <UCM>/weblayout/groups/secure/logs

Also check your Apache access and error log files.

Also i hope you added the directory part for UCM in httpd.conf. Also when installing i hope you gave localhost for HttpServerAddress and DBServerHost. Talking about it, could you attach the txt file in your <UCM>/install/<DATE>.txt

11. rnavduri

rnavduri Forum Advisor

Sadik,

Thanks for the info. Right now I am installing the content server and I am getting a message stating that port 4444 is in use so I gave port#4443 and when I accepted the default /idc/ for web server relative root it is showing that "The value /idc/ already been used". This shows that some instance of content server or some of the stuff related to Content server still running in my laptop. I think thats the reason I was not getting installed properly. Any suggestions?

Rajesh

12. Sadik

hmmm firstly did you do Installer.exe -uninstall

If not, well still you can install. Using another port isn't a problem.

The web server relative root is actually the directory where the installer will copy the files. It's saying already used because the files already exist in that folder. You really do need to uninstall the previous content server or give a new directory as web server relative root.

:) I wish i had access o your laptop then I could have done it for you

13. rnavduri

rnavduri Forum Advisor

Sadik,

This is what I see in my log..

1. Admin and Idc servers running
    2. Apache is running
    3. XE Database is running
    4. Also I have added the below entry in From the Windows Start menu, select Programs, then Content Server-[Instance-Name], then Utilities, and then System Properties.
    I have specifies JAVA_CLASSPATH_defaultjdbc;$SharedDir/classes/ojdbc14.jar in the Java Classpath

Please sugegst.

Rajesh

14. Sadik

Hi Rajesh, finally we have nailed down the problem. Your content server is unable to connect to the database, because
    a > Your connection parameters are wrong or
    b > your tnsnames.ora file does not have the correct entry or

Now do one thing, go to your <UCM>/install folder and there you will find a text file whose name is <DATE>-new.txt Please post that file here. Secondly find your tnsnames.ora file (located in <ORACLE_HOME>/network/admin folder and post that too.

Then we can solve this.

Regards

15. rnavduri

rnavduri Forum Advisor

Sadik,

I am attaching new.txt, tnsnames.ora, listner.ora and sqlnet.ora for your reference.

Rajesh

Attached Files:

16. Sadik

hmm i see that you are using user UCM to connect to the database, can you connect to your database using the user UCM?

Secondly there's a issue with your database connectivity which might be causing the problem. In your tnsnames.ora the XE entry is
    while in your <DATE>-new.txt, you have
    To solve this, go to start menu-->Oracle Content Server-->IDC-->Utilities-->System Properties, and go to Database tab. there you have the JDBC Connection String, after @ replace localhost by LL3-N4737.ad.tiaa-cref.org

The value should become
    Code (Text):
    [B]jdbc:oracle:thin:@LL3-N4737.ad.tiaa-cref.org:1521:XE[/B]
    Next try to connect... it should solve your issue!

17. Sadik

hi is your problem solved? can u now connect and open UCM?

18. rnavduri

rnavduri Forum Advisor

Nope. I am getting the same error. I have tried with UCM userId also with System id in the database tab.
    I could able to connect to DB using UCM userid.

I am guessing that there could be a classpath problem for JDBC stuff. Any ideas?

Rajesh

19. Sadik

did u change the JDBC Connection string as told earlier?

20. rnavduri

rnavduri Forum Advisor

Yeah, I have changed it in the database tab in the system properties.