1. Get rid of all advertisements and get unlimited access to documents by upgrading to Premium Membership. Upgrade to Premium Now and also get a Premium Badge!

Cluster index Vs IOT

Discussion in 'SQL PL/SQL' started by prashant, Jan 16, 2009.

1. prashant

prashant Forum Advisor

Hi,

Can anyone explain me the difference between clustered index and an Index Organised Table?

Thanks & Regards,
    Prashant

2. zargon

zargon Community Moderator Forum Guru

You're comparing Sybase/SQL Server to Oracle with that question.

Sybase/SQL Server offers a clustered index. In that type of index the leaf nodes are the table data, and as such the table data is ordered by index key. You cannot physically separate a clustered index from the table.

Oracle offers the IOT, which is basically the same thing: it is a table which uses a b-tree index structure so, again, the leaf nodes of the index are the actual table data. This is a single object, not two as in Sybase/SQL Server. You can create additional indexes against an IOT in Oracle releases 9i and later.

In either case using such a configuration is not recommended for tables which are subject to heavy transactional activity (inserts/deletes).

3. prashant

prashant Forum Advisor

Thank you Zargon for your Reply. I got confused. Now its sorted out.

Also one doubt. I Oracle do we call indexes on clustered tables as "Clustered Indexes"?

Thanks.

Regards,
    Prashant