1. Get rid of all advertisements and get unlimited access to documents by upgrading to Premium Membership. Upgrade to Premium Now and also get a Premium Badge!

Clone a Database from a backup

Discussion in 'Installation - Unix and Unix Like' started by Kenneth, Sep 14, 2009.

1. Kenneth

Kenneth Active Member

Can anyone help me with the steps/checklist on how to clone a new Oracle 10.2.0.4.0 database by restoring from a backup?

Many thanks to this reply.

kenneth.

2. Orixs

Orixs Guest

3. Kenneth

Kenneth Active Member

We are using Solaris Sun5:10 as the OS and Veritas Netbackup as the backup tool to tape. So I want to restore the backup from the tape and clone the database.
    How do I go about it?
    We don't use RMAN here.

I appreciate your prompt response to this request.

Regards,
    Kenneth.

4. apunhiran

apunhiran Active Member

Hello Kenneth,
    Could you tell what kind of backup do you do for your database?
    You mentioned that you don't use RMAN.
    Do you take hot backup or cold backup of the database??
    Cold Backup:
    1.) Copy all the database files to a new server:
    datafiles
    redo logfiles
    controlfiles
    parameter files
    2.) Make necessary changes to the init.ora (parameter file) to the new path for bdump, udump etc.
    3.) Incase the location of files is going to be different on the new server. Recreate the control file with the correct path of the files.
    4.) Start the database.

Hot Backup:
    All the above steps:
    You will have to mount the database and do database recovery till the point you want and then open the database with resetlogs.

Hope this helps...
    Regards
    Apun

5. sabyasachi

sabyasachi Active Member

use exp for export the database and imp for import the database

$>exp userid/passwd@connstring file=/path/filename.dmp log=/path/filename.log
    $>imp userid/passwd@connstring file=/path/filename.dmp log=/path/filename.log full=Y

Visit :- allmyneed.blogspot . com for more help

6. janste

janste Active Member

is there any specific reason for not using RMAN in your backup strategy. I hope this is not a production environment.
    Verita should be able to communicate with RMAN so there should be no reason for not choosing RMAN as your main backup tool, specially if it is a production environment.
    Anyway, just perform a full backup to disc, here is one among other guides for this procedure:

http://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&q...1J-oKk&sig=AHIEtbRR-8md155l_4Qd3Q71hgqXJjQCpA

7. zargon

zargon Community Moderator Forum Guru

You should read here:

http://www.basisconsultant.com/data...irecting-a-restore-to-a-different-client.html

Even though this is written for SAP installations the process should be similar for non-SAP databases with NetBackup. You should also search google.com as there are numerous links available.