1. Get rid of all advertisements and get unlimited access to documents by upgrading to Premium Membership. Upgrade to Premium Now and also get a Premium Badge!

Clean and Intuitive Oracle R12 Test Script Format

Discussion in 'General' started by ScottNeville, Feb 12, 2012.

1. ScottNeville

ScottNeville Active Member

Cleveland, Ohio
    Do you find the Oracle TE.040 Test Script format awkward? Do your users find it difficult to follow and use? The answer is generally yes and yes. But it's an Oracle standard and many implementation teams use it or a slightly modified version of it. Well, there is a better way to format and present test scripts.

The Unit Test Script Template attached to this article provides a much cleaner format for generating test scripts. Although we are using it for our R12 upgrade, it could easily be used for a new implementation. I have also attached a Guidelines for Generating Scripts document. The template shows an example. The guidelines provide detailed instructions (it's actually pretty simple and straightforward).
    This format is much easier to use when creating and modifying scripts (do scripts ever get modified :). It is much easier for users to work with. It is clean and intuitive. Give it a look.

Scripts are a PAIN!

Nobody likes writing test scripts. They are tedious and time consuming. Users get frustrated by the awkward format and inconsistencies between scripts. Power Users and Testers should be given scripts that are easy to follow and use. There is nothing worse than Power Users and Testers grumbling about what a pain it is to use the new application. It is also frustrating when the implementation team doesn't get needed feedback because the test scripts aren't simple to use.
    Our CRP I scripts are being created by our core implementation team and the less time it takes the better. I believe some companies have their Power Users create the test scripts. This is even more reason to make the process simpler and quicker.
    Copy and Paste is a wonderful thing. You can copy and paste existing scenarios and just modify the data when desired. Or, copy and paste a scenario and revise the actions as well.

Hint: For data tables that need more rows, just select a row, right click and choose Insert > Insert Rows Above or Insert > Insert Rows Below. It's easy, but everyone might not know how to do it.

Again, give the script template and guidelines a look. I'm pretty sure you will find them a huge improvement on Oracle's TE.40 format.

btw: I should mention that if you need to add more detail on revision history (like Oracle's TE.40 format), you should do so. It is not a requirement for our implementation. Also, for some of the scripts I have added an Instructions section immediately below the table of contents.

Attached Files:

2. padduveera

padduveera Active Member

Guys Start Learning UPK , which will produce Test Script in 30 min and if you gain experience the time can be reduced to 15 min I had attached a sample test script the software allows to create System process document as well
  3. rsamlal

rsamlal Active Member

- I tend to use Excel formats over Word format. It is easier to then filter etc. which is better in Excel than Word.
    - The name / url of the instance van be added to info on a testscript.
    - I've used UPK as a means of creating scripts. I did however need an environment to actually perform the steps as part of the script. But env is not always available. Then what?