1. Get rid of all advertisements and get unlimited access to documents by upgrading to Premium Membership. Upgrade to Premium Now and also get a Premium Badge!

Changing the visibility of a text index field section w/o rebuilding the index?

Discussion in 'SQL PL/SQL' started by MrLuckypants, Jul 1, 2016.

1. MrLuckypants

MrLuckypants Active Member

One of the field sections within our text index is currently configured as "visible=FALSE" since our application has a search method that specifically targets this content. We're looking at reworking our search methods to open up this content to a general search methods, part of which could be accomplished by changing the visible attribute to "TRUE". It would be very beneficial *not* to have to rebuild the affected records since the change would apply to every record in a multi-million record index.

It seems like this could be done using the command "ALTER INDEX <index name> PARAMETERS (REPLACE METADATA preference new_preference)", or something similar. However, I'm uncertain on what the preference values would be. The field sections were originally built using the command:

ctx_ddl.add_field_section(group_name => 'ie_section_group',
    section_name => 'SECNAME',
    tag => 'SECNAME',
    visible => FALSE);

2. krasnoslobodtsev_si

krasnoslobodtsev_si Forum Genius

So, what is your question?

Last edited: Jul 3, 2016
  3. MrLuckypants

MrLuckypants Active Member

The question is: What is the proper syntax (if any) to change the Visible attribute on a field section on an existing text index without having to rebuild the index? I've tried different variations on:

ALTER INDEX IDXNAME PARAMETERS ('replace metadata add field section SECNAME tag SECNAME VISIBLE');

...with no luck. I know conceptually what I want to do, I just can't get the syntax right.