1. Get rid of all advertisements and get unlimited access to documents by upgrading to Premium Membership. Upgrade to Premium Now and also get a Premium Badge!

Changing AMM to ASMM

Discussion in 'Server Administration and Options' started by dimpleboy, Jul 6, 2011.

1. dimpleboy

dimpleboy Active Member

Hi, I have an 11gr2 database running on top of rhel5. I am currently using AMM for the memory management, yesterday I encountered an error that might caused by the bug of AMM regarding shared pool. Now I fixed the problem but I want to leave AMM and make use of ASMM instead. Thanks in advance.

2. zargon

zargon Community Moderator Forum Guru

There is no AMM, only ASMM. The two 'terms' refer to the same technology.

3. dimpleboy

dimpleboy Active Member

Correct me if im wrong but, what I know is ASMM is realesed on 10g while AMM is released on 11g together with ASMM. I know that AMM only require value for the memory_target while ASMM requires sga_target and sga_max_target. My db right now is using AMM, I am wondering if I removed memory_target from pfile then manually set a value to sga_target and and sga_max_target will this make my db on ASMM mode? Thanks a lot!

4. zargon

It is correct that with 11gR2 memory_target is designed to replace sga_max_size, sga_target, and pga_aggregate_target (we are just now moving to 11g; my earlier response was incorrect with respect to 11g). If you set sga_target and unset memory_target then you have ASMM configured (it is not necessary to set both sga_target and sga_max_size) however you will also need to set pga_aggregate_target so Oracle will manage that area as well -- by default setting memory_target allows Oracle to manage both SGA and PGA, changing/tuning allocations to both within the guidelines of memory_target.

You're trading full automatic mode for semi-automatic mode and will now need to manage both the PGA and SGA independently.

5. dimpleboy

dimpleboy Active Member

thanks a lot, thats what I did to make it ASMM, last question just for verification, if I want to put it back to AMM (just in case) I'll just set the memory_target parameter then Im back to AMM? thanks a lot! Its nice having conversation here. :)

6. zargon

Yes, but you should unset the sga_ and pga_ parameters you set as if they are set as well as the memory_target parameter they may limit the effectiveness of AMM.

7. dimpleboy

dimpleboy Active Member

Thanks a lot! :)