1. Get rid of all advertisements and get unlimited access to documents by upgrading to Premium Membership. Upgrade to Premium Now and also get a Premium Badge!

Can we add pictures to excel via SQL Developer?

Discussion in 'SQL PL/SQL' started by preston, May 5, 2012.

1. preston

preston Active Member

Hello guys,

I just wonder, Can we add pictures to excel automaticly? The picture paths store in the db for ex: c:\my_folder\my_pic.jpg However I want get real picture via useing this path is it possible with any tool?

Thanks a lot

2. Bharat

Bharat Community Moderator Forum Guru

Yes, ofcourse you can use insert menu option to insert images into excel sheet.But do you want to get images into excel from database or what? Can you tell exact requirement what you are looking for.

3. preston

preston Active Member

Yes I want to get images path from database into excel. The images path are stored in the database as a varchar. For instance, 'c:\my_folder\my_pic.jpg', I export these data to the excel but at the same time I want sql developer or any tool to find the images and copy them to the excel automaticly. Please help me. What should I do?

I hope I did express myself.

Thanks a lot.

4. zargon

zargon Community Moderator Forum Guru

Simply loading the file name and path in a varchar2 column in a database doesn't put the file in the database or allow the database to access that file; you will need to either use a LOB datatype and load the file into the table or declare the entry as a BFILE and generate a 'pointer' to the file location. Once you do that linking the table with Excel should populate the spreadsheet with the images.

5. Bharat

Bharat Community Moderator Forum Guru

Hi preston,

As David said, you have to use any of the LOB OR BFILE datatype to load image. You need to place those images in server in safe location and you need to create directory to that location and then you need to insert the data into table. After this you can get those images into rtf or forms etc. Actually I have go through this process in forms, and not having exact idea for rtf.