1. Get rid of all advertisements and get unlimited access to documents by upgrading to Premium Membership. Upgrade to Premium Now and also get a Premium Badge!

Can some help a beginner? How to discover the amount of change made to e-business.

Discussion in 'Oracle Application Express (APEX)' started by Confused.com, May 5, 2014.

1. Confused.com

Confused.com Active Member

Hi Folks,

I am a business analyst asked to help user-acceptance-test a much configured R12 e-Business order management installation. I know absolutely nothing about how Oracle applications are configured. I don't even know what to ask for when I talk to our developers the other side of the world. I realise that there are MD050, MD070 and BR100 documents but they are not well written. I was wondering if there is a "system understanding" function within Oracle itself that will dump out a list of DFF fields, custom forms, hooks to external software and any other application changes? As a tester, I just need to identify that which has been subject to change. I can track down how it has changed with a bit of detective work.

I have asked the developers about this but they really don't understand what I am talking about. We are worlds apart even in engineering practices.

Confused.com.

2. DTSIGuy

DTSIGuy Forum Advisor

Re: Can some help a beginner? How to discover the amount of change made to e-busine

First off...this is in the wrong community...post needs to be moved to E-Business.

Second, why are you equating UA testing w/ changes made to the system? Those are completely different disciplines. Now, if you're developers have not annotated any of the changes and customizations to the environment...then you have a larger problem.

All custom forms and libraries exist in their own directory in the file structure, if they did it right. Too, all custom extensions like flexfields are likewise 'owned' by a predefined business entity within the application. You will need the Sys Admin to give you the rights/responsibilities to the menus available to track all this down. Otherwise you'll be having to poke around the database and file structures manually...which is time consuming if you don't know where to look.

HTH

CJ

3. Confused.com

Confused.com Active Member

Re: Can some help a beginner? How to discover the amount of change made to e-busine

Hi,

Thanks for the help. I had better consider a move of thread.

You said - "Second, why are you equating UA testing w/ changes made to the system"? - I am acceptance testing changes that have been made to an existing customised e-business system. The documentation produced when the system was last changed hasn't been produced to any known standard that I am aware of. It hasn't been produced with the creation of test cases, training material, user-guides or system maintenance in mind. Consequently, it has become uneconomic to produce prescriptive (step-wise) test cases without creating all the documentation that ideally would have been created during the analysis and design phases. A huge bow-wave of "unexpected" work has "emerged" around capturing reasonable "system understanding" e.g. how to drive custom forms, set-up master-data, collect test results. I was just wondering if there were any shortcuts that could identify what has changed. NB There is no developer's change-control, JIRA or version control system to help.

Confused.com.

4. DTSIGuy

DTSIGuy Forum Advisor

There are no shortcuts per se...at least any that I know of. That there's no change control is vary bad news.

If you have the space, I would suggest you reload the R12 OEM instance and then run a comparison check. Have you tried the Oracle Discussion Forums?