1. Get rid of all advertisements and get unlimited access to documents by upgrading to Premium Membership. Upgrade to Premium Now and also get a Premium Badge!

Can I perform an >In Place< upgrade for 11gR2

Discussion in 'Installation - Windows' started by Popeye.Tom, May 9, 2012.

1. Popeye.Tom

Popeye.Tom Active Member

Hi all,

I goofed a bit, I downloaded and installed 11g R2 (11.2.0.1.0) and installed it. After installation I went looking for the patchsets. Then I learned that as of 11.2.0.2 these are not patchsets, per se, but full installs. (I'll know now to log onto My Oracle Support first!) :eek:

Because I'm installing this as a backbone for Windchill, and I will allow the Windchill installer to create my database, my installation was software only. The Upgrade Guide e23633 and other documents advise against inplace upgrades. This is a Single-Instance Oracle database with no database created yet. The platform is Windows Server 2003 R2, Standard Edition x64.

This forum and others as well as various blogs, have threads and articles on the relative difficulties people have had de-installing 11g.

Would you recommend I do an in-place Upgrade to get this to 11.2.0.3.0 or use the Oracle De-install Utility (11.2.0.1.0) for Microsoft Windows (x64) and actually start from scratch installing 11.2.0.3.0?

(I'm still downloading the 7! zip archives for Patchset 3 (10404530), so I have a moment before I have to make this decision!)

Thank you,
    PT

2. zargon

zargon Community Moderator Forum Guru

You need not de-install 11.2.0.1 before you install 11.2.0.3 but I would (and did) install 11.2.0.3 in its own home and migrated my 11.2.0.1 database to 11.2.0.3, on Windows. Once you have the 11.2.0.3 software installed you can then remove the 11.2.0.1 and create your database. As noted in other sources you may need to do some manual registry editing to completely clean the old installation from your system.

Popeye.Tom likes this.
  3. Popeye.Tom

Popeye.Tom Active Member

Thanks David,

Since I don't have a database at all in 11.2.0.1, I may as well just go ahead and removed the 11.2.0.1 first and clean up Path and other registry "residue" first. Unless you recommend against doing this first, I see no value in leaving this until after 11.2.0.3 is on, I've got nothing to migrate.

I will be using the De-Installation utility, not the OUI to de-install ~0.1. I find it interesting that there are 3 new de-installation utilities, one each for 11.2.0.1, 11.2.0.2 and 11.2.0.3!

I'm going to owe you a cup of coffee or a beer or you're choice next time we come your way! The next visit to Reno will likely be for a swim meet for my daughter. (We're in Medford, OR)

Thank you,
    PT

4. zargon

By then I'll be in Aurura, CO -- new job, new location.

5. Sadik

Sadik Community Moderator Forum Guru

Congrats David! :)

6. Popeye.Tom

Popeye.Tom Active Member

Opatch Fail code = 41

Congratulations on the new job! The Reno Splash meet isn't until june 15-17... That will be a bit of a scenery change, Reno to Aurora - won't it?

The 11.2.0.1 de-installation went without a hitch.

The installation of 11.2.0.3 went off just fine.

I'm trying to patch this to the CPU April 2012 (Patch 5) and OPatch is griping that "OPatch needs to modify files which are being used by some processes." OPatch failed with error code = 41 This appears to be a common error code for OPatch on Windoze platform. :mad:

I've logged a support ticket w/ Oracle - but often you guys beat them. (I look forward to the day that I'm more than a hack and a lurker and can pay back some reasonable advice!)

Per a thread "Applying Patch failed with error code 41" on the OTN Discussion forum, I've tried the following:
    1) Rename oracle base directory; restart system; name oracle base directory back > run OPatch. Still got this error code = 41.
    2) Run cmd shell as Administrator, OPatch needs to modify files requiring administrator rights. My user is an Admin group member. I started a fresh cmd shell using "Run as..." and unchecked the "Run this program with restricted access" This made no difference, still received error code = 41.

From the cmd shell, the "active" files listed are one and all related to the OUI:

Applying interim patch '13885389' to OH 'D:\oracle\product\11.2.0\dbhome_1'
    Verifying environment and performing prerequisite checks...
    Patch 13885389: Optional component(s) missing : [ oracle.precomp.lang, 11.2.0.3.0 ] , [ oracle.rdbms.tg4msql, 11.2.0.3.0 ] ,
    [ oracle.rdbms.ic, 11.2.0.3.0 ] , [ oracle.has.cvu, 11.2.0.3.0 ] , [ oracle.has.crs, 11.2.0.3.0 ] , [ oracle.usm, 11.2.0.3.0
    ]
    Prerequisite check "CheckActiveFilesAndExecutables" failed.
    The details are:

Following files are active :
    D:\oracle\product\11.2.0\dbhome_1\oui\jlib\srvm.jar

There are 32 instances of that exact same file specification in the list.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

Thanks,
    PT

7. zargon

Re: Opatch Fail code = 41

Windows is not the most user-friendly when it comes to removing software and/or modifying files in closed applications. You could download one of the DLL utilities on the web (a google search returns many options) or simply reboot the server; usually I find the latter works, although it is inconvenient to reboot a perfectly good server just to convince Windows the files are no longer in use. It appears in many cases that once loaded DLLs hang around in memory after the app is long since shut down.

8. Popeye.Tom

Popeye.Tom Active Member

I've already tried the reboot, in conjunction with renaming the Oracle base directory prior to (and back again) after reboot. Didn't help.

From a thread over at forums.orcacle.com, the poster had DLL files listed in the "being used" list. I have only one file, it's listed 32 time - but only one!. The file is <11g_home>\oui\jlib\srvm.jar There are no DLL or other files in the log written to <11g_home>\cfgtoollogs\opatch. The only file listed there is the same Java jar file.

OUI hasn't been run since I finished the installation of 11.2.0.3, it is not running now (that I can tell) and certainly not since the system reboot.

9. zargon

Check for any Oracle services that may be running; there may be one not related to a database but running nonetheless. Stop any such services and try again.

10. Popeye.Tom

Popeye.Tom Active Member

Morning all,

Late start, a Monday... I managed to lock my keys in the car at the YMCA. GRRRR

It turns out it is a known bug, # 1390274.

The work around supplied by Oracle Support ends up being very simple:
    * Rename %ORACLE_HOME%\OPatch\jlib\oracle.opatch.classpath.jar to %ORACLE_HOME%\OPatch\jlib\oracle.opatch.classpath1.jar
    * Apply the patch
    * Undo the renaming of the file

I'm just now going to apply the patch and will report back!

11. Popeye.Tom

Popeye.Tom Active Member

I can verify that solution works. Opatch ran to completion, verified "Patch 13885389 successfully applied"

Hey David and Sadik, is there value in my posting a new thread with a better title to help others find this solution from a search of the forum?

tom

12. zargon

Thanks for the information; I'm sure it will be useful to the rest of the group.