1. Get rid of all advertisements and get unlimited access to documents by upgrading to Premium Membership. Upgrade to Premium Now and also get a Premium Badge!

Brief introduction of Oracle9i Forms builder

Discussion in 'Other Development Tools' started by sameer, Sep 3, 2008.

1. sameer

sameer Forum Advisor

Brief introduction of Forms builder in Oracle9i

Here I am presenting an overview in simple steps to create forms using Oracle Forms Builder 9i

When you start the Forms Builder, a welcome screen would appear on your computer screen. Welcome screen has the following options:

1. ‘Use the data block wizard’,
    2. ‘Build a new form manually’,
    3. ‘Open an existing form’ and
    4. ‘Build a form based on a template’.

1. Choose ‘Use the data block wizard’ option and click on ‘Ok’ button.
    A new window of ‘Data Block Wizard’ would appear. Enter user name, password and database name. Then click on the ‘Connect’ button.

2. Once the connection is established between your Forms Oracle9i and Server, you would be able to view all the listed tables in that database.

3. Check on the ‘Current User’ and ‘Tables’ checkboxes to view all the tables for the current user.

4. Select a table from the list and click on the ‘Ok’ button.

5. Select the required field from the table by using “>” sign or “>>” to select all the fields of a table. You may also click on the ‘Create Relationships’ button at this step in case where we use foreign keys. It would display the foreign key associated with the selected table. Click on the ‘Delete Relationships’ button to delete a relationship

6. Click on the “Next” button.

7. Enter a new table name or use a default table name specified by the system.

8. Select “Create data block” option

9. Press Finish Button

10. Open Object Navigator window and see the data block you have just created. It would be saved as *.fmb files on a local computer system.

11. Right click on the data block file and select "Layout Wizard".

12. A new welcome screen would appear where you can design the layout of your form.

13. Select the most suitable layout design from the TYPE drop down menu.

14. Select the items to be displayed on the form from the data block file by clicking on the “>” sign or “>>” to select all the items. You may also change the names of the items by mentioning a new name as column names are considered as default names. You may leave the height and width of the items default as you can easily adjust it later on by dragging a field on the form.

15. You can add buttons on your form such as “Save” button using which end users can save their forms. For this, click on any button on the toolbar and then click on your form. Selected button would appear on the form with default values and attributes. However, you may change its properties by clicking the button on the form. This would open a Property Palette where you can enter new name and function for the button. You may also code the action for button using Triggers in PL/SQL.

The form designing is complete and you can have a look at the designed form.