1. Get rid of all advertisements and get unlimited access to documents by upgrading to Premium Membership. Upgrade to Premium Now and also get a Premium Badge!

Best way to move from server x32 to new x64 server

Discussion in 'Installation - Windows' started by Popeye.Tom, Oct 26, 2010.

1. Popeye.Tom

Popeye.Tom Active Member

Hi all,

I'm upgrading 9i on Server 2000 x32 to 10g Release 2. Oracle is the engine that sits underneath PTC's Windchill CAD data management product. The goal is to run maintenance upgrades to Windchill 8.0 on the current production server. Then rehost to new hardware running Server 2003 x64 and migrate the Windchill from 8.0 to 9.1.

The 8.0 version of Windchill will not run using Oracle 11g. The new 9.1 version will not run on 9i so I'll be upgrading the production server from 9.2.0.7 to 10g Release 2.

Per the Oracle 10g Release 2 Upgrade Guide, p/n B14230-02, the DBUA would manage the x32 to x64 upgrade, if the OS were upgraded on the hosting server. But, I'll be upgrading to the newest Oracle 10g on the existing Windows 32 server.

After upgrading the production server's Oracle, I'll upgrade the Windchill 8.0 to the last maintenance release for that product.

I will then need to rehost the Oracle database to the new Server 2003 x64 machine to preform the Windchill 8.0 to 9.1 migration.

What is your suggested method for moving the Oracle 10g x32 database to 10g x64 on the new server?

Do I treat this as moving from one supported OS to another? (From chapter 3 of the Oracle 10g Upgrade Guide)
    "1. Upgrade to the newest Oracle 10g release on the current OS
    2. Use the Oracle 10g cross-platform transportable table space feature or the Oracle Data Pum Export and Import utilities to migrate the upgraded database to the different operating system."

Any suggestions and thoughts on this would be appreciated. I had a failed trial 1 Windchill 8.0 to 9.1 migration. This is trial 2 and I'd like it to work!

Thanks,
    Tom

2. zargon

zargon Community Moderator Forum Guru

If you have network connectivity between the two servers then datapump is the choice I'd make. You really have very few options since you're not only changing database versions but also operating system architecture.

Data pump would be the most painless way to effect that upgrade; read up on the procedure in the upgrade guide.

3. Popeye.Tom

Popeye.Tom Active Member

Thanks for the help.

Actually, the database version will be upgraded on the current OS so that I can perform update the Windchill application and get the users back online.

Then, I'll use data pump and import it to the new server, new OS architecture to trial run the Windchill migration/upgrade on the new platform. When that is successful, scrape and perform the data pump export/import and Windchill upgrade for real.

Tom

4. zargon

You can do the database upgrade 'in place' if that's the scenario; you'll still need to migrate it to a 64-bit architecture so your current datafiles can't be directly copied. I can't remember if RMAN can do that for you; you might check the docs.

5. Popeye.Tom

Popeye.Tom Active Member

Right, the 9i to 10g will be done 'in place'.

I will read the documentation on RMAN and see if it will do the migrate to 64-bit.

I'm thinking from what I've read so far, and replies on another Oracle forum look like using data pump will do it.

6. Bailifei

Bailifei Guest

i googled this article about how to migrate operating system to a new Server[/URL] without reinstalling the system.
    i think it is a safe and fast way to do this.
    3w.todo-backup.com/backup-resource/universal-restore/migrate-os-to-a-new-server.htm

7. zargon

He's not migrating the operating system to a new server, he's installing a different operating system on a new server because the processor architecture is changing from 32-bit to 64-bit. And the URL you posted is wrong; it should be:

www.todo-backup.com/backup-resource/universal-restore/migrate-os-to-a-new-server.htm

The issue is migrating the Oracle database from a 32-bit platform to a 64-bit platform. Reading the thread in its entirety would benefit all who read it and post to it.