1. Get rid of all advertisements and get unlimited access to documents by upgrading to Premium Membership. Upgrade to Premium Now and also get a Premium Badge!

Automated import of data into existing Oracle table

Discussion in 'General' started by ianthegreater, Feb 15, 2011.

1. ianthegreater

ianthegreater Active Member

Hi,

I'm new to Oracle (and databases in general) and I have been assigned a project which requires the creation and administration of a database.

My assignment is to import publicly available .csv files into the database, but the sheer number of the files is overwhelming me. There has been a new file posted every hour of every day since 2007. My questions are:

Is there any way to point Oracle to the website that hosts the .csv files and have it automatically detect new files and import them? (This would be preferable, but I realize that would make things a little too easy.)

How would I go about automatically importing a single file into the database? (My current plan is to use Java to download, rename, and archive the file.)

Thank you for all the help,

Ian

2. rajavu

rajavu Forum Guru

some of the options are,

1. Uploading data from directory Using UTL_FILE package . You have to get the file names before doing this activity.you can call java routine from oracle for this activity.

2. Uploading data using crontab to invoke the sql loader

3. ianthegreater

ianthegreater Active Member

This is exactly what I needed! Thank you!

rajavu likes this.