1. Get rid of all advertisements and get unlimited access to documents by upgrading to Premium Membership. Upgrade to Premium Now and also get a Premium Badge!

AUTHID CURRENT_USER behavior

Discussion in 'SQL PL/SQL' started by prashant, Jan 16, 2009.

1. prashant

prashant Forum Advisor

Hi Guys,

I was going through the following link which says about AUTHID CURRENT_USER :-

http://www.adp-gmbh.ch/ora/plsql/authid.html

It works when i do it among 2 schemas in the same instance. That is if i call the procedure(with AUTHID CURRENT_USER) of schema A from schema B the changes are done to tables of B instead of A(if the same table exists).

On the other hand if i try to do it among schemas of different instances via db-link, say executing proc in schema A from schema B, the changes are done to tables of A only.

Why is this difference? Also is there a way to accomplish the same via db-link as we accomplished in inter schema within same instance?

Regards,
    Prashant

gurujothi likes this.
  2. Sadik

Sadik Community Moderator Forum Guru

Hi Prashant, i am not a dba expert but for your proc in schema A to make changes to tables of schema B, shouldn't your DML queries of proc in schema A mention the db link? else the query will always find the table in schema A. That's why the changes are done to tables of A only.

3. prashant

prashant Forum Advisor

Thank you Sadik for your reply.

See the requirement here is:-

Say i have 2 schemas 'A' & 'B' on 2 different instances. Schema B is connected to schema A via DB-Link.

Say both the schemas have an EMP table. Now i create a procedure EMP_UPD in schema A (AUTHID CURRENT_USER) which updates SAL column of EMP table.

Now from schema 'B' if i execute EMP_UPD@dblink, it updates the EMP table of schema 'A' which is not what i expected or desired.

In the other case i.e both the schemas are in the same instance and I execute A.EMP_UPD from schema 'B' it updates the EMP table of schema B.

I dont mind keeping the same tables across schemas(in diff instances) but i want to keep only 1 central copy of the procedure. This is possible across multiple schemas within same instance, but between schemas among different instances is what i am trying to acheive and not able to :(

You may link this requirement with the one mention in the Server Administration->Replicating Packages thread. I posted it here as it was related to PL/SQL concepts.

Thanks & Regards,
    Prashant

4. zargon

zargon Community Moderator Forum Guru

Your procedure does not reference any table in Schema B on the remote server, so you cannot update your 'local' table by a call to a remote procedure. You'll need to rewrite this code to accept a remote database name and append that information to the update statement, making your statement use dynamic sql.

5. prashant

prashant Forum Advisor

Thank you Zargon for your reply..

In the case where i have both the schemas in the same instance, i am able to do so using AUTHID CURRENT_USER.

Can you please elaborate a bit more on that?

Thanks..
    Prashant

6. zargon

zargon Community Moderator Forum Guru

And that is a LOCAL privilege. It doesn't transfer to the remote database.

You'll need to write a dynamic SQL statement to update records on a remote database by referencing the remote object in your local call:
    Code (Text):

create or replace procedure myupdateproc(tname in varchar2, colname varchar2, colval varchar2, remote_srvr varchar2 default NULL) is
    if remote_srvr is not null then
         sqlstmt:='update '||tname||'@'||remote_srvr||' .....";
    else
         sqlstmt:='update '||tname||' set ...';
    end if;

execute immediate sqlstmt;

Such a statement would update the remote object.

David Fitzjarrell

gurujothi likes this.
  7. prashant

prashant Forum Advisor

Thank you David for your reply. I am sure this info will be quite useful. Will try the same and get back incase of any issues..

Thanks once again.

Regards,
    Prashant