1. Get rid of all advertisements and get unlimited access to documents by upgrading to Premium Membership. Upgrade to Premium Now and also get a Premium Badge!

Adding space to tablespace

Discussion in 'General' started by TP_NEWBIE, Oct 16, 2009.

1. TP_NEWBIE

TP_NEWBIE Active Member

I am new to oracle and OEM is suggesting I add space to one of my tablespaces. What are the ramifications to me editing the tablespace and adding space?

2. zargon

zargon Community Moderator Forum Guru

What do you mean by the phrase 'editing the tablespace'? The task is a simple one: either resize the existing datafile or add another datafile to the tablespace. What 'ramifications'? There are essentially none if the space addition is successful with respect to Oracle. You do need to be conscious of the physical space available on the filesystem as you cannot exceed the limit of available space. You may also be subject to older filesystems (or filesystems built to older specifications) which will not allow files over 2 gigabytes in size, making extension of the existing file not possible, however such configurations are rare.

Your question, as posted, is poorly worded. Please clarify what you intended to ask so a clearer answer can be provided.

3. TP_NEWBIE

TP_NEWBIE Active Member

Which is better, resizing the existing datafile or adding another datafile to the tablespace?

4. zargon

zargon Community Moderator Forum Guru

Define 'better'. Both are viable options.