1. Get rid of all advertisements and get unlimited access to documents by upgrading to Premium Membership. Upgrade to Premium Now and also get a Premium Badge!

About Query Data Source Columns property

Discussion in 'Oracle Forms and Reports' started by tiepmr, Jul 20, 2013.

1. tiepmr

tiepmr Active Member

Hello everyone,
    I'm new to Oracle Forms version 10g.
    When I create a data block based on a table using Data Block Wizard, the block's Query Data Source Columns property is automatically populated with column definition entries corresponding to the columns of the base table.
    I tried making changes to these entries, for example by changing the data types to wrong data types or even deleting them, and I found that those changes had no effect on the block at all. The form was still working as I wanted.
    Please explain what is exactly the role of the block's Query Data Source Columns property.

Thank you very much.:hurray

p.s: The F1 key help says "The Query Data Source Columns property is valid only when the Query Data Source Type property is set to Table, Sub-query, or Procedure". So, please explain in each context of Query Data Source Type.

2. DTSIGuy

DTSIGuy Forum Advisor

All it's doing is importing the column data properties for the table into the form block so the form block triggers will know how to interact with the table. Not entirely sure why you'd want to change the defaults unless the wizard is making an error...which may imply a problem with the design.

3. tiepmr

tiepmr Active Member

I mean when block's Query Data Source Type is Table, this Query Data Source Columns property has no role because I can change it arbitrarily or even restore it to not be defined. I don't think the Form block triggers use that information. In the case of a Table base block, does this property have other purpose ??