1. Get rid of all advertisements and get unlimited access to documents by upgrading to Premium Membership. Upgrade to Premium Now and also get a Premium Badge!

A question about ./runInstaller in Oracle 11g Release 2

Discussion in 'Installation - Unix and Unix Like' started by dariyoosh, Sep 6, 2009.

1. dariyoosh

dariyoosh Forum Advisor

Dear all,

I appreciate if you could kindly give me a hand.
    I have an issue with Oracle 11g Release 2 installation on Red Hat Enterprise 5.3 (x86). I install the software in
    silent mode with a response file (I have done this before successfully several times with other Oracle releases).
    The problem is that when I want to run the installer provided by the given response file, the installer stops
    immediately and I get the following error message:

Code (Text):

[oracle@ccsaplinux0002 database]$ ./runInstaller -silent -responseFile /usr/local/oracle/database/responseFileV02.rsp
    Starting Oracle Universal Installer...

Checking Temp space: must be greater than 80 MB.   Actual 150090 MB    Passed
    Checking swap space: must be greater than 150 MB.   Actual 9200 MB    Passed
    Preparing to launch Oracle Universal Installer from /tmp/OraInstall2009-09-06_07-50-15PM. Please wait ...
    [oracle@ccsaplinux0002 database]$ Exception in thread "main" java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError
            at java.lang.Class.forName0(Native Method)
            at java.lang.Class.forName(Class.java:164)
            at java.awt.Toolkit$2.run(Toolkit.java:821)
            at java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method)
            at java.awt.Toolkit.getDefaultToolkit(Toolkit.java:804)
            at javax.swing.UIManager.initialize(UIManager.java:1262)
            at javax.swing.UIManager.maybeInitialize(UIManager.java:1245)
            at javax.swing.UIManager.getUI(UIManager.java:851)
            at javax.swing.JPanel.updateUI(JPanel.java:104)
            at javax.swing.JPanel.<init>(JPanel.java:64)
            at javax.swing.JPanel.<init>(JPanel.java:87)
            at javax.swing.JPanel.<init>(JPanel.java:95)
            at oracle.sysman.oii.oiif.oiifo.OiifoOCMUI.<init>(OiifoOCMUI.java:125)
            at oracle.sysman.oii.oiif.oiifo.OiifoOCMInterfaceManager.<init>(OiifoOCMInterfaceManager.java:79)
            at oracle.sysman.oii.oiif.oiifo.OiifoOCMInterfaceManager.getInstance(OiifoOCMInterfaceManager.java:124)
            at oracle.install.ivw.db.driver.DBInstaller.run(DBInstaller.java:123)
            at oracle.install.commons.util.Application.startup(Application.java:869)
            at oracle.install.commons.flow.FlowApplication.startup(FlowApplication.java:164)
            at oracle.install.commons.flow.FlowApplication.startup(FlowApplication.java:181)
            at oracle.install.commons.base.driver.common.Installer.startup(Installer.java:265)
            at oracle.install.ivw.db.driver.DBInstaller.startup(DBInstaller.java:114)
            at oracle.install.ivw.db.driver.DBInstaller.main(DBInstaller.java:132)

[oracle@ccsaplinux0002 database]$

Any idea? :confused:

Kind Regards,
    Dariyoosh

2. tyro

tyro Forum Genius

You are obviously missing some required Java packages. The tricky part is finding out which....

3. dariyoosh

dariyoosh Forum Advisor

Dear Tyro,

Thanks a lot for your answer.

Is there any specific java package (jar files, etc.) that have to be installed for this release of Oracle? because on my linx server, I have already all needed packages according to Oracle installation guide.

http://download.oracle.com/docs/cd/E11882_01/install.112/e10840/pre_install.htm#CHDHFGBJ

Kind Regards,
    Dariyoosh

4. dariyoosh

dariyoosh Forum Advisor

I was curious to see whether there is really a Java problem and apparently no. I removed DISPLAY=ccsaplinux0002:0.0; export DISPLAY and I run the installer
    interactively, everything went well about 15 minutes, but in the middle of copying files I had the following message: "Bad block type" and the program said
    contact oracle support. I don't think that the downloaded files were corrupted because I checked the checksum. I put them in the same directory and then I run unzip.

I'm really confused!

Regards,
    Dariyoosh

5. sameer

sameer Forum Advisor

Hmmm your initial error says NO class definition found error and nothing else... there is no way to make anything out. If it's a co. server raise an SR.

6. dariyoosh

dariyoosh Forum Advisor

Ok, the thread is a bit old, but I'm going to say what was the problem:

I forgot to run the following before running the installer:
    Code (Text):

#DISPLAY=`hostname`:0:0;export DISPLAY

I checked this several times (several oracle server installations on several different linux servers) to make sure that this was really the source of the problem. I don't see any link between the error message and the DISPLAY environment variable. Yet, after running the above mentioned command, everything went pretty well.

Thanks all of you for your participation in this discussion.

Kind Regards,
    Dariyoosh
    :)

7. Sadik

Sadik Community Moderator Forum Guru

Hmmm that seems strange though. Anyways, thanks for posting what resolved the problem.