1. Get rid of all advertisements and get unlimited access to documents by upgrading to Premium Membership. Upgrade to Premium Now and also get a Premium Badge!

A newbie needs help with some PL/SQL basics...

Discussion in 'SQL PL/SQL' started by sigurko, Jan 18, 2011.

1. sigurko

sigurko Active Member

Hello all,

First, let me say that I'm a complete newbie to PL/SQL and to Oracle. I'd define my knowledge in databases as an advanced mysql user. Not a developer. The little code that I do write while working with mysql is in Perl.

Having that said, I'm looking for an example to learn from. Something that would illustrate the basics of PL/SQL Block Types - Sequence, Trigger, Function and Stored Procedure implemented in one simple example.

I've done some reading about this but my skills are far from implementing something on my own. I seem to understand each subject separately but when it comes to combining these techniques in one small project - I get lost :confused:

Any help would be greatly appreciated,
    Thanks, Matthew.

2. Sadik

Sadik Community Moderator Forum Guru

Hi Mathew,

Welcome to Club-Oracle. I am also not a PL/SQL developer but i can write code if I have to in oracle or mysql. If you have your logic right, different languages are usually a matter of syntax. At least that's what I feel.

There are several very good articles here that explain in beginner terms exactly what you are looking for. I would suggest you to browse the PL/SQL section under Articles.

Here's the link: SQL PL/SQL Articles

sigurko likes this.
  3. sigurko

sigurko Active Member

Hello Sadik,

Thank you so much for the useful link. Indeed, I found the relevant articles there!!!

I have a small and simple 'help desk' utility that runs on "Oracle Database 10g Express Edition". The utility has some basic functionality that is usually required from a help desk.

I'm looking after enhancing the database with Triggers, Functions and Stored Procedures, with out having to change the utility and the way it works with the database.

I can share my database files (they are small) and/or the database schema and would like to ask for:
    - some advice on what enhancements should I provide in to such database.
    - help/guidance on how to implement the examples, that I just read about, in to the database.

Could you point me to the right place in the forum to start from?

Thanks in advance,
    Matthew.

4. Sadik

Sadik Community Moderator Forum Guru

Hi Mathew,

One does not enhance a database with triggers or functions or procedures. One uses these for their exact purposes as per need. What drives the need is the functional requirement, in your case it is your helpdesk application. So you have got the process flow incorrect. First you need to identify the functional requirement in your application. Then you need to analyse the best possible solution to implement. That may be through your front end application editing or by writing custom objects (triggers or functions or procedures in your database and not vice versa.

Once you are clear about your functional and subsequent technical requirement, you can post here with whatever problems/road blocks you may face.

Hope it helps.
    Sadik

sigurko likes this.