1. Get rid of all advertisements and get unlimited access to documents by upgrading to Premium Membership. Upgrade to Premium Now and also get a Premium Badge!

A good beginning for a newbie ???

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Doctor Smith, Mar 1, 2012.

1. Doctor Smith

Doctor Smith Guest

Hi all. I'm totally new here.

I'm here becasue I need to "get my hands dirty" and learn something about Oracle database programmiing. I'm computer literate, I'm an "Applications Engineer" for a major OEM of PC-based industrial automation equipment (20+ years) but I know next to nothing about databases, Oracle or otherwise. I have an upcoming project where our machinery will have production data sent to it from an Oracle database at the start of a run and we'll upload data back to Oracle at the end of the run along with status information at various waypoints. I won't be doing the Oracle programming myself but I'll need to be able to speak intelligently with those who are.

At the same time, but unrelated, I need to set up a VERY basic General Ledger and billing system for a small home-based business.

I'm thinking I can kill two birds with one stone if I download the developer version of Oracle and learn how to use it by setting up a bookkeeping system on it. Yes, I know there are already any number of excellent bookkeping packages such as Quickbooks, but I specifically want the development experience.

Any advice? Or am I a fool for even THINKING about doing this ?

2. Ramji

Ramji Forum Guru

Doctor Smith,

Welcome aboard. Its not uncommon to have bright sparks once in a while! You need not reinvent the wheel. There are many simple accounting packages available. Time is money. The cost benefit analysis of developing something from the scratch and having to maintain it will not be in your favor .

Given your experience, if you develop skills on Oracle ERP say General Ledger it would pay more in the long run. Also for a home run business you do not need sophisticated accounting systems. But if its a creative urge go for it provided you have the time and are not worried about career etc.
    Ramji

3. Ramji

Ramji Forum Guru

Lorraine02,

I am nervous now. If you are out to get Oracle Knowledge it will be a good beginning at the club. Welcome aboard! Good Beginning ''for us'' sounds like an internet blind date'' :)
    cheers
    Ramji

4. zargon

zargon Community Moderator Forum Guru

We all started somewhere and none of us knew anything about Oracle when we began our careers. You're not a fool, not at all. I understand what you want to do and I encourage you to do just that: build your own bookeeping system for your small business but use the web to help you with project designs (I'm fairly certain that there are educational projects available to get you started). We are here to help you as long as you help yourself so feel free to bring us your questions and someone in the group should have an answer.