All the reports created using Report Builder in Oracle are stored in Report Builder Tables in ‘*.rdf’ and ‘*.rep’ format. Reports stored in ‘*.rdf’ format have full report definition of binary file. It also includes some comments and source code. You can modify these reports by use of Report Builder. If you transfer these reports on a secondary storage media in binary format then act as executable portable files. However, ‘*.rep’ format files are binary run-only files that do not contain any comments or source code. These files cannot be modified using Report Builder also.
Various tools used in Oracle Report Builder are
- Object Navigator,
- Data Model Editor,
- Parameter Form Editor,
- Property Palette and
- Layout Model Editor.
Best feature of Report Builder in Oracle is its wizard to create reports. Just follow these simple steps to create a report:
1. Start Report Builder.
2. Open Report Wizard in report builder. A new window would appear.
3. Choose the style of report from list of options, namely, Tabular, Mailing Label, Group Above, Group Left, Form Letter, Form and Matrix.
4. Choose the type of query you want to execute, that is, ‘SQL Query’ or ‘Express Query’
5. Enter a SELECT statement for data retrieval from the database for report data.
6. A list of fields would appear from which you can select some or all of the fields to be displayed in the report.
7. Then a new page summarizing the selected fields would appear. If you want to add or remove the selected fields, then click on the Back button or else click on the Next button.
8. You can alter the name of the field labels that would appear in the final report and click on Next button.
9. If you have a template for your company or organization then you can insert it at this phase. Click on the Next button once you have selected the template.
10. Click on the Finish button and the report would be generated.
You may also include from list of available triggers such as formula, format, action, validation, report, before parameter form, after parameter form, before report, after report and between pages trigger. These triggers fire whenever their corresponding events occur and are very helpful in achieving dynamic effect for generating reports.